Thursday, January 28, 2010

"Zinn" Lives On!


I'll never forget the feeling of awakening I felt as a 9th grader in High School the day I purchased my very first copy of A People's History of the United States, by Howard Zinn. Unable to put the book down, I read with amazement the words of a pioneer, a social activist, a paradigm breaker, a man who encouraged us to question authority! His People's History presented history through the eyes of those unspoken for, unheard, and forgotten.
The status quo among the general population had always been to read your history books and trust them as holding true facts. Howard Zinn inspired me to break from those "Intimately Oppressed," incite a "Kind of Revolution," and always speak out against those "Persons of Mean and Vile Condition."

Thank you, Howard Zinn, for having the COURAGE, PASSION, and INTEGRITY to shine a new light on so many political issues in the world: from racism, to poverty, to war, to moral injustice, to social responsibility!

Few individuals inspire me to ask "what would they do, think, or say" on a subject. Howard Zinn was one of those individuals to whom I often referred when reading college texts or watching reported news. What would Howard Zinn have said about this...?

Howard Zinn has passed away but his legacy of challenging the status quo will live on! We all have a limited time here to put our efforts to work, we must make each moment of our lives count!

No comments:

Share

Follow Me on Pinterest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook Badge