I have had guests ask me whether it is Chicken or Fish; it has a meaty texture and lots of flavor! This is a multitasker recipe so work at your own pace and add your own flair!!
You will need:
1/2 Package "Chicken Style" Seitan (WestSoy is great and the broth can be used for stocks or a delicious roux) **If your supermarket doesn't carry Seitan, please smile & ask your store manager to order it!
4 Asparagus Spears
3/4 cup Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise (or regular Vegenaise, just please don't use Mayo)
1/2 c. Flat Leaf Parsley
1/4 c. Green Onions
1 clove Garlic
1/4 c. White Onion
1/2 Ripe Hass Avocado
1/4 c. Sun Dried Tomatoes, reconstituted and Julienned
1/4 c. Vegan Bread Crumbs
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Earth Balance Vegan Butter
12 Large White Button Mushrooms
1. Clean mushrooms, remove stems and set aside, layer cookie sheet with aluminum foil, place mushrooms face up on the cookie sheet, and preheat oven to 375. **Mushrooms are anti-carcinogenic and full of nutrients!
2. While you're prepping the veggies, boil the asparagus spears in seasalted water for 6 mins, drain, then chop into bite size pieces; this can also be done earlier in the day. **Asparagus are great for promoting Prostate Health!
3. Mince Garlic, chop Onions, Parsley, Green Onions, and Mushroom stems. **Garlic is a natural antibiotic!
4. Using the Boiling water from the Asparagus, pour boiling water over the Sun-Dried Tomatoes to reconstitute and set aside. **Sun Dried Tomatoes are full of Vitamins and Lycopene!
5. Carefully open Seitan package, saving the broth for future use, and slice the Seitan into strips (like Chicken strips!) **Seitan is also known as "Wheat Meat" and is made from wheat gluten: a high source of protein!
Cooking the Seitan:
1. Heat pan, add 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil and saute the Garlic, white Onions, and Mushroom Stems. Add 1 tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Butter.
2. Add the Seitan and Sun Dried Tomatoes until slightly browned; s & p to taste.
3. Turn off heat and let cool.
Making the Seitan Salad:
1. In a medium bowl, add the fresh flat leaf Parsley, fresh Green Onions, and cooked Seitan mixture. **You don't have to cool it too much because Vegenaise is made without Eggs, so it won't curdle.
2. At this point, slice the Avocado and while the half is in your hand, small dice it right in the shell and empty into the salad mixture.
3. Add the Vegenaise, and Bread Crumbs and mix it up.
4. This is a fragrant, tasty salad that can be substituted for Tuna or Chicken Salad. I add fresh Tomatoes and fresh Romaine to this salad when I serve it alone. Or continue on to make Stuffed Mushrooms...
Stuffing the Shrooms:
1. Spoon the Seitan Salad into the Mushrooms. I like to pile them high!
2. Sprinkle with a bit of Bread Crumbs.
3. Transfer to Oven and bake for 20 minutes.
The Mushrooms will be juicy! Enjoy!