Tantalize your taste buds and nourish your body from the inside out with this delicious raw, organic, vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, nutrient-dense Triple Berry smoothie.
Karinna's Berry-licious Smoothie Recipe
20 oz Organic Almond Milk
1/2 cup Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder
4 tablespoons Organic Sprouted Golden Flax
2 tablespoons Kal Nutritional Yeast Flakes
1/2 teaspoon Health Force Nutritionals Truly Vitamin C Powder
1.5 cups fresh or frozen Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries
4 tablespoon Organic Blue Agave Nectar
Place all ingredients in a blender on medium-high setting and blend until smooth, adding agave nectar to taste. (Makes 2 large servings)
This smoothie is great for fighting colds for its antioxidants, vitamin c, and other immune boosting nutrients. It is also a great meal-replacement for lunchtime or between meals. This is not a low-calorie smoothie but it is nutrient-dense and vegan so you don't have to worry about saturated fats, low-density-lipoproteins (bad cholesterol), or refined sugars.
- Almond Milk is low-calorie, approximately 35 calories per 8 ounces in the unsweetened version and 60 calories per 8 ounces if lightly sweetened which makes it a perfect alternative to soymilk. It is appropriate for smoothies since you will be adding so many other nutrients, you want the liquid base to be as low-calorie as possible. (Try Pacific Foods, or Silk)
- Garden of Life Raw Protein is an excellent protein powder from raw organic sprouts. It contains 18 grams of protein per scoop (and the recipe above calls for double that amount). The organic sprouted proteins include brown rice protein, amaranth sprout, quinoa sprout, millet sprout, buckwheat sprout, garbanzo bean sprout, kidney bean sprout, lentil sprout, adzuki bean sprout, flax seed sprout, sunflower seed sprout, pumpkin seed sprout, chia seed sprout, and sesame seed sprout. Garden of Life Raw Protein also contains live probiotics and enzymes, bioactive glycoproteins and lipoproteins, amino acids, and the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K.
- Organic Sprouted Flaxmeal provides essential Omega 3 Fatty Acids and dietary fiber and lignans which help maintain a healthy digestive system, maintain healthy levels of cholesterol and sugar, protect against heart disease and help regulate metabolism.
- Nutritional yeast is one of the only plant-based sources of Vitamin B-12 and is essential for cellular metabolism and healthy circulation. It is water-soluble and is not stored in fat, so unused B-12 is excreted by the body. B-12, or cobalamin, is "essential," therefore must be consumed daily. Vitamin B-12 is also essential for proper neurologic function. It is hard to find, but i've found that KAL is a great brand and can be purchased at your local health food store.
- Health Force Nutritionals Truly Vitamin C is a great addition to your smoothie. Most Vitamin C supplements contain synthetic forms of Vitamin C like Calcium Ascorbate or Ascorbic Acid. Health Force Nutritionals uses pure Acerola Cherry which is highly absorbable and does not create high acid levels in the body or put a negative strain on the liver or kidneys upon excretion.
Enjoy a healthy super meal in a glass for your longevity and immunity!