A Quick Disclaimer is appropriate so as not to mislead anyone with the surprising fact that the specialty items we Vegans shop for are pricier than their Genetically-modified, processed cousins. For example, Vegenaise may cost 3 to 4 dollars more than regular Mayo; Earth Balance Vegan Butter may cost a dollar or two more than regular butter; and Soymilk (especially my favorite Silk) comes in smaller packages and costs more than cow's milk. But stop to think of this: not only are we saving money on the cost of meats and animal products --we are also potentially eliminating the cost of all the future healthcare needed for the Heart Disease, Obesity, High Blood Pressure, Heart Attack, Atherosclerosis, Parasites, Breast/Colon/Prostate Cancer, Premature Aging, Arthritis, Osteoporosis and numerous other ailments directly caused by eating High Cholesterol animal products.
Today, my goal was to show my friends that there are no excuses to not shop green! Moms, College students, frugal shoppers, this guide is for you.
I found almost all of these items at my brand new giant supercenter. With the exception of the Vegenaise and So Delicious which I purchase at Henry's or Whole Foods, all other items were found at Wal Mart. I gave myself 20 minutes to shop.
Brand Name Items:
- EnviroKidz Cereals (made with minimal ingredients, no BHA or BHT preservatives, dedicated to preserving wildlife around the world)
- Amy's Frozen Dinners and Organic Soups (Vegan, non-GMO, delicious)
- Amy's Organic Pasta Sauces
- Morningstar Farms Meal Starters (my favorite vegan "ground beef" alternatives)
- Morningstar Farms Chik'n Strips
- Boca Burgers
- Bob's Red Mill grains (including Quinoa, Brown Rice, Wheat Flour)
- Knudsen Organic Juices
- Greenworks enviro-friendly cleaners
- Scotch Brite Bamboo cleaning cloths
- Scotch Brite Green Sponges
- White Cloud Recycled Bathroom Tissue
Other Verde-friendly items I found walking through the aisles:
- Produce (veggies and fruits)
- Whole grain organic breads
- Whole grain organic pastas
- Whole grain crackers, rice cakes
- Dried fruits
- Canned and packaged Beans, Legumes
- Canned Greens and Veggies
- Organic Juices
- Almond Milk
- Rice Milk
- SoyMilk in Kids Boxes
- Eco-friendly cleaning agents
- BPA-free Water bottles and kids cups
- Reusable Canvas shopping totes
- Organic cotton clothing for kids and adults
- Organic Pet Food
- Energy-efficient lightbulbs
- Herbs in the Garden Center
- Recycling Bins at the entrance
There are dozens of ways to make little changes in our daily routines and make a huge impact on the world around us. Make a statement, take a stand each time you shop!
Go Green...and you'll Save Green!
More Verde Tips to come!