Monday, July 6, 2009

Karinna's Red, White, and Blue-berry Pancakes


I love getting patriotic in the kitchen! A true American tradition gone green: Here's my "Verde" twist on a good old American treat.
Wake up your family with my yummy pancakes this weekend and let the aroma of warming berries and buttery pastries fill your home with happiness.
I make my pancakes from scratch, but if you'll be short on time, make sure and whip together the dry ingredients the night before so all you have to do is add the soymilk, egg, and oil. I created this recipe a few months ago when my son and twin daughters were craving pancakes and I was out of the store-bought mix. Most of these ingredients are already in your pantry!!
Red, White, and Blue-berry Pancakes
**Vegetarian Recipe (See Vegan Recipe Alternative Below)
1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 large brown Egg
1 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Canola Oil
1 c Silk Soymilk
1/4 c Flax Meal (I recommend Barleans)
Handful Fresh Raspberries
Handful Fresh Blueberries
Earth Balance Vegan Butter Spread for pan
Preheat your griddle or pan. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, mix together the milk, sugar, egg, and oil. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined, then add the berries. Cook on heated griddle for about 2.5 minutes per side. Makes about 6 medium sized pancakes!
VEGAN alternative (the way I cook mine): For each egg, mix together equal parts soymilk and flax meal.
Get Creative: Throw in some cooked Quinoa, more Flax, or Rolled Oats!!!

No comments:

Share

Follow Me on Pinterest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook Badge