I felt the same way 5 years ago! Although I made the decision to value the life of creatures enough to eliminate meat consumption altogether, you can make small changes in your lifestyle to begin to make an impact!
Here is a list of just a few of the things I truly enjoy...many things are meaty, many things are buttery, many things are cheesy, and many things are absolutely delicious!
- Gardein Meatless Ground "Beef" - My Favorite addition to Spaghetti, Albondigas, you name it!
- Chorizo (SoyRizo, that is) - Possibilities are endless, and Trader Joes Soy Chorizo is incredible!
- Butter, mmm! (Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread, of course!)
- Daiya Cheese - try their brand new Cheese Wedges I just tasted at Natural Products Expo West!
- Mouth-watering deli meats, from Roast 'Beef,' to 'Bacon'... Tofurky!
- Rice Milk, Coconut Milk, and Soy Milk -- delicious!
- Sorbet! Hungry for Ice Cream? Try a creamy delicious Sorbet instead!
- Baking: use applesauce or Ener-G egg replacer for a great cholesterol-free substitute!
- Grilling: make Portobello burgers, make your own brown rice and chickpea burger patties, grill Veggie Kabobs, or Boca Burgers!
- Faux everything! You can find meatless alternatives in most major grocery stores.
- Think Meat-Free! You can add garbanzo beans or edamame to a salad for extra protein!
- Whole grains like Quinoa and Brown Rice are great protein sources!
- Most Vegan-friendly foods are available in your favorite grocery store's produce section!
- Find hidden Vegan treats you'd never believe are cruelty-free! PeTA's excellent list here.
- Whole Foods
- Your local Farmer's Market
- Native Foods Cafe
- M Cafe
- Veggie Grill
- Fine-Dining: Call and plan ahead. All great chefs will accomodate your diet.
- First, request a Vegan menu.
- Ask for No Butter, Cheese, or Sour Cream
- Ask chef to substitute any butter in a dish for Olive Oil
- Ask which soups are vegan-friendly (not made with chicken broth)
- Substitute! Get creative and ask your server to make clever substitutions for you, believe me if you set the example, and you look great and healthy, EVERYONE will want to know your secret!
Once you make the transition, you will eventually stop craving and needing the flavors of meat and milk. Your senses of smell and taste will be enhanced as the heavy layers of animal grease stop coating and dulling your tastebuds (and clogging your arteries). As a Vegan, you will begin to automatically refuse the products that harm our fellow creatures so ruthlessly. You will develop a compassionate outlook on life and realize that every decision you make, affects the world around you.
Coming up on Verdelicious... How to make Eco-Conscious choices everyday!
Don't forget to look around the site and visit some of "Karinna's Favorite Blogs." Recently, I added my friend's deliciously spicy new blog: Vegan A la Mexicana. (I wish she could cook for me everyday--take a look!)